Two Story Walk Up
August 9, 2015
Top 10 things I like about the new apartment.
- 10) Comfort Flooring. The floor is some sort of wood laminate with cushioning underneath it that makes it kind of springy. Our shipment arrives tomorrow so we have sitting on the floor a lot. There is a vicious rumor that I fell asleep on the floor last night for about 30 minutes.
- 9) Great water pressure. Coming from the land of water saving low pressure showers I am going to enjoy water pressure that can actually rinse shampoo out of your hair.
- 8) Local flavor. We are a little off the beaten path, which has some down sides, but it has been great exploring the neighborhood. We know we are not the only Gaigin in the neighborhood because the house a few blocks away says “Fisher-san” on the mailbox. However, we are definitely going to stand out.
- 7) We are not right next to the train station. It is an eight minute walk to our closest train station, which means to go anywhere we will get about 20 min of exercise. Which is sadly more than I got most days unless I made time for running. Also we have some options on walking just a little further to other stations.
- 6) There is no elevator in our building and we live on the second floor. See above. (Although I might feel differently about this if I was the one carrying up our couch tomorrow.)
- 5) The awesome park that is only a 5 minute walk from here. It is a huge park with lots of wooded area, a baseball diamond, and tennis courts. We went over to explore tonight and there is a 630m running loop around the baseball diamond. Several people were out running and walking their dogs and it was clear a baseball game had just ended.
- 4) The kitchen closes off from both sides. It means the cook will get very warm, but I can cook without heating up the entire place. Also it is so small that no one else will fit in their while I am cooking. There are a couple of meals I like to cook with the kids, but for the most part cooking for me is an excuse to be busy and not converse for a while.
- 3) All the appliances, including the toilet, have instructions in Japanese. I am really disliking being illiterate so hopefully this will spur me on to keep studying.
- 2) All of the suitcases fit in the bottom of one closet. It was our big accomplishment today. (Ok, we also found the English speaking Apple Store in Shibuya and bought Sarah a MacBook Air, but perhaps that is a different blog post.)
- 1) Air Conditioning. It works very well. We don’t have any blankets yet and some people were complaining that they were cold last night. And they call themselves Minnesotans.
The 11th thing: There is a Familymart a block away that has free wifi.